It looks like a fight between "The Can" Couture and Fedor is not going to happen if this story is true.
From the fight network dot com.:
PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has committed exclusively to the new ownership of M-1 Mix-Fight Championship, which has been purchased outright by an undisclosed American entertainment-related company, according to a source close to the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Established in 1997, the St. Petersburg-based M-1 held over 30 events under the ownership of Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, also the long-time manager of the much-sought-after Emelianenko. Finkelstein is also the proprietor of the Red Devil Sports Club, a facility and team that houses numerous Russian fighters, including PRIDE veteran Roman Zentsov and former UFC middleweight Andrei Semenov.
The source confirmed the new ownership has infused a substantial amount of capital into the organization. Finkelstein and others will stay on to assist in running the company, which will continue to promote under a variation of the M-1 name.
The new M-1 will take more of a global stance, and Emelianenko (26-1) will headline its inaugural event as early as January or February, possibly in the U.S., the source said. On March 27, Ultimate Fighting Championship majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta bought the assets of PRIDE, only to discover Emelianenko had previously signed a non-exclusive, non-transferable contract with its former owners, Dream Stage Entertainment. As late as September, UFC president Dana White had insisted a deal with Emelianenko was imminent, though repeated negotiations between Finkelstein, colleague Apy Echteld and the Las Vegas outlet could not produce an agreement to bring the Stary Oskol resident to the famed Octagon.
A major point of contention was White’s insistence Emelianenko sign an exclusive contract with the American promotion, which would exclude Emelianenko’s participation in Sambo competitions. Emelianenko is a three-time World Combat Sambo champion and ambassador for the sport in his homeland. Undefeated in 24 fights (including one no contest), Emelianenko is widely received as the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter.
The 31-year-old former Army firefighter rose to the top of PRIDE’s ranks by besting standouts like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (30-4-1) and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-6-2). Emelianenko submitted 2000 Olympic Greco-Roman silver medallist Matt Lindland (20-5) at Bodog Fight “Clash of the Nations” on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He has not competed since. A formal announcement of the purchase, as well as plans for the new organization’s first event, is expected by the end of this month.
MMAmania.com (UFCmania.com)
Bloody Elbow
- Moraes happy to be at PFL, believes he still has ‘a lot to give’
- RIZIN 41 preview, weigh-in results
- IBJJF Pans breakdown - Adam Wardzinski: An ode to Old School
- ‘I’m better’ - Golm ‘not afraid’ of trading shots in Bellator 293’s main event
- UFC stats review 2023: Jon Jones, Jamahal Hill, Miller and others break records in first quarter
www.cagepotato.com
Error loading feed.
Brawl Sports
Error loading feed.
Fightlinker.com » Fightlinker - MMA, UFC, and other funny fight crap
Error loading feed.
Fight Opinion
- The anger about WWE’s business dealings with Saudi Arabia and financing of combat sports
- Disney’s gigantic yearly gamble on UFC/ESPN+ leaves PPV door wide open for Al Haymon
- 2018 California State Athletic Commission inspector salaries
- Judge in Mark Hunt’s lawsuit against UFC says doping is part of assuming the risk
- Site issues with links
Five Ounces of Pain
MMA on Tap
Thursday, October 11, 2007
Fedor signs with M1 according to the Fight Network
Posted by
Colonel Balz
at
12:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seems like i won't be able to see Randy And Fedor square off before randy losses that edge.
ReplyDeletehttp://streetfightingandmixedmartialarts.blogspot.com/